Feta, halloumi and mascarpone - CASTLEMAINE
What to expect
Join Kristen for an intensive, full day of cheese making and discover all there is to know about making fresh cheese including feta, halloumi and mascarpone. This collaboration with Long Paddock Cheese also includes an exclusive tour of the cheesery and a lavish cheese tasting, showcasing their fabulous cheese.
In this hands-on workshop you will learn:
- the cheese making process using cultures and rennet
- sourcing the best quality local milk
- salt - brining and dry-salting cheese
- marinating feta in olive oil
- the health benefits and #101wheys of whey
This intimate class starts with morning tea and a chat about how the day will unfold. Then it’s time to roll up your sleeves and feel your whey through the curds. We work in small groups so there’s usually plenty of banter and laughter and time for one-on-one attention.
By lunchtime, as we sit around a long table, stories and favourite recipes are shared and then with a smile and a full belly, it’s back into the kitchen to finish our curds. Our day together finishes with a tour of the Long Paddock cheesery and cheese tasting, featuring a selection of cheese from Long Paddock.
What you will get:
- 6 hours of expert cheese making knowledge, guidance and inspiration from Kristen
- tour of the Long Paddock cheesery
- morning tea and lunch
- cheese tasting (featuring a selection of cheese from Long Paddock)
- recipes and information kit
- take home pack of your cheeses made in the class and cheese baskets
When: 10am – 4pm
Where: The Mill - 9 Walker Street, Castlemaine
What to bring: Please ensure you wear closed shoes
Bring your favourite apron to wear and 5 x 1L containers & bag to take home your cheese